Monday, August 22, 2011

Pasta Carbonara

Hey Everybody! I haven't had time to cook hardly anything the past couple of weeks, so I haven't been blogging. I finally had time to cook one of my favorite meals a few nights ago; Pasta Carbonara. I remember the first time I made this comfort food for my friends, they thought I was crazy when I told them I was making pasta with eggs and bacon. But you know what...why not?! It's a super easy and filling food, so give it a try one night!


Here's what you'll need:  (serves 6.... or 4 with leftovers)

  • 1 cup heavy cream (not half& half. not milk. Heavy. Cream. It'll be worth it I promise)
  • 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
  • 10 slices bacon 
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 1 lb. spaghetti


First, Boil some salted water for the pasta. Add a few squirts of olive oil; it'll help keep the pasta from sticking together.

Chop the 1/2 onion and set aside. Then cut the bacon into pieces about 1/2 inch wide. Cook the bacon in a saute pan until more than halfway done, then add the onion. Cook until bacon is crispy and the onion is cooked. Put it on a plate with a few paper towels to absorb some grease.

Cook the pasta according to directions.

Cooked Bacon & Onion
While all that is cooking, crack 4 eggs put them in a bowl and mix them. Then measure your 1 cup of cream, and put it in the microwave for about a minute until it's hot to the touch. Now we're going to temper the eggs. If we put the eggs into the hot pasta, they'll just scramble and that's not what we want. So we will take a few tablespoons of the eggs and put them in the cream, stirring the entire time. SLOWLY mix the cream into the rest of the eggs, stirring with a fork or whisk the entire time. Once you have a warm, creamy sauce, add the parmesan cheese and set aside.

Pasta after sauce added
Drain the pasta and put it back into the pot. Immediately stir the creamy sauce into the pasta and stir it until even. Add the bacon and onion, and ENJOY!


No comments:

Post a Comment